Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wooooooooooooo-- Freaking-- Hoooooooooooooo!

Today I got home from work and I knew, injury or not, I needed to run. I needed to get sweaty and feel the joy of movement and at that moment I didn't care if it hurt. I don't know if it was a reprieve from some God of Running, God himself, the Fates or what, but I had no pain and I ran a 9 minute mile. Party people? My fellow sojourners on this wacky path to athleticism? May we take a moment to offer up praise and rejoice in this accomplishment? Wooooooooooooo-- Freaking-- Hoooooooooooooo! I'm not sure if I'm more pleased by the lack of pain or the speed with which I ran that mile. Regardless, I'm happy and I feel good.
I only covered about 2 miles and for the last bit of that, in an effort to be kind to my leg, I alternated between running and walking. I'm going to rest tomorrow and then go do it again on Friday or Saturday.  Little by little I'll increase my distance and just see what happens.
Offer up your feel good healing vibes, prayers, whatever it is you do and send them my way. I want to keep running. I want to keep becoming. I'll never stop trying to become something, evolving, but man I'd like that something to include "runner."

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you! I feel completely crazy because after my very slllllllllllooooow 5K last weekend, I'm not in horrible pain, and this makes me happy! Who would've thunk?

    You are a runner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby steps, you'll get there. Just keep at it and one day, without realizing it, you'll get there. It's an awesome feeling but I've found that, like everything else, once you get there, (yes, there are more commas to come, lol), you'll already be thinking about the next hurdle -- about improving speed, distance, times, etc... Glad the wonk didn't stop you yesterday!

    Oh ya, and like Maggie said, you're already a runner. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOT DAMN AND HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!
    sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!! I have a long way to go yet. I ran at a good speed for me, but not very far. Ultimately I want to run a half marathon and God willing, my body will let me get there. For now, I'm learning to take joy in the moment.
    And Dave? Bring on the commas! :)
    Sarah, How's your running coming? Any races or runs on the horizon?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ran a 5k in the middle of May with the “Girls on the Run” program. My sister is a 3rd grade teacher and their school offered this program for the first time this year. It’s a self-esteem/confidence boosting program for girls in 3rd through 5th grade working up to running a 5k. It was AWESOME to see all those girls so proud of themselves!!! I hope when my girls are in school they still offer the program.
    I’m going to run a 1 mile fun run with my 5 year old next month. We ran together for the first time this weekend and it was the coolest feeling to see her keep running even when it got tough for her and not give up. She was so proud of herself when we finished!
    Just got back from my run at lunch….there’s a bike path right beside my work so I ran on that…. And I about got trucked by a groundhog and had to jump over a snake and basically skated down a hill that looked dry but was actually really slippery mud. It was NOT graceful.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete