Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A little weight gain and a couple of F*ck Yous"

Soooo, I haven't been posting because I haven't been able to really run. Stupid leg/knee/ITBS thing has kept me sidelined. In addition to this, about a month and a half ago I got a job. The job is great, I'm happy to have it, but it has seriously cut into my tennis time. Yeah, I know. Spoiled much? Anyway, the bottom line is this: No running, plus less tennis, plus a fairly sedentary job = a slightly aggravated and heavier me. Broken down even more simply: Much less activity = Me gaining weight for the first time in over 20 years. Oh and I get a little wild inside when I'm not having enough of a physical outlet. Makes for interesting thoughts...which I might elaborate on sometime.

Back to the weight thing. It's only a couple of pounds and no one looking at me would know anything has changed, which is great. I can gain a few and still be what some would consider underweight. I don't care. I like me this way. I have never tried to be anything other than what I am. I do not diet. I do not watch what I eat. I do not avoid alcohol or dessert. Hate me yet? I've been slender for most of my life and I like it that way. You might now be saying, "So what's your problem?" Let me tell you.

For basically my entire adult life people have been telling me, "Just wait till you get older. You'll gain weight then!" And they have always said it with this sort of odd glee. Like they couldn't wait for it to happen to me. Me, being me, always said in reply, "Nope! Not gonna happen to me!" while inwardly I was saying, "Fuck you! No it won't!" Well, what do you expect? Its like people want me to get fat. It annoys me.

So here come these couple of pounds and I think, "Damn. Is this it?! Have they cursed me?" Suddenly instead of being fine with a couple of extra pounds I'm wondering if its the beginning of the end of my nonchalant attitude concerning weight gain. And let me tell you, I don't like it. I don't like that other people's weird need for me to gain weight has gotten into my head and you know what? I'm putting an end to it.

Yeah, I gained a couple of pounds and its because I've been sidelined, not because I've *gag* gotten older. I hope I'll have the luxury to continue to get older and I will do it in style. My style-- fit, happy and periodically wallowing in dessert and even more frequently in wine. Should more pounds have the audacity to creep in, I'll step up the physical activity. If I can't run, I'll walk. I'll kayak. I'll swim. I'll have even more sex. Ha. Whatever, I'm not giving all of the "...just wait and see" people the satisfaction of being able to say, "I told you so." Rather, I'll keep saying, "NOPE! Not me!" while thinking "Fuck you."

5 comments:

  1. I removed a post because it was someone I know being a goof ball in a way that might be misunderstood by others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted! I actually came on here today to leave a comment on another post to check in and make sure you were okay.

    And ya know what? You are.

    Between year 30 and year 40, I met and married the wrong guy and put on (wait for it ... ) 100 spare pounds. 100 pounds! That's an entire fifth-grader!

    Does it come on quicker as we age? Well, maybe, but I think that's because we have more reasons to drink as we get older, and margaritas have A LOT of calories. At least that's what I tell myself. Anyway, a couple pesky little pounds have just shown up to see if they like you. Make yourself inhospitable to them, and they will leave.

    As for me, a combination of moving more, eating less and cutting back (just a little) on the margaritas has melted 75 of the 100 off. This is the year for the final 25 to get gone.

    Glad to have you back on the blog. I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I can relate to the feeling of being cursed. I ran into an ex with his now wife. Spent a couple of hours with them. After that I gained 40 pounds with 2 years. Luckily, I've lost 15 of that! I know she put a curse on me!!

    You look beautiful no matter what! But of course, just keep saying fuck you when you need to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I don't feel cursed,but I do sometimes think people are waiting for me to live their life. As in misery loves company and well, I'm not going to join them :)
    And I'm now annoyed with blogger because there was a great comment on here by Maggie that really made me smile and it seems blogger lost it during all of their issues. Grumble.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bah ... sorry it lost my comment. I don't even remember what I said, but it was probably brilliant. ;)

    ReplyDelete