Saturday, April 30, 2011

Structure and Prep Necessary (gag) Evils.

I haven't been able to get out and run since the last time I posted and man was I feeling it. My body goes wonky on me when I don't get enough physical activity. Honestly, I go a little wonky when I don't get enough physical activity. Anyway, today I set out with the same intentions as last time-- to run for the pleasure and not the pursuit of a goal. This time, damn it all, this time my knee started really bothering me again and I had to call it at a mile and a half in. That seriously bummed me out.... for a little bit. For a teeny tiny moment I was disheartened and then I remembered something a Blogger friend wrote, "I've gotten only a little better ... but a little is so much more than none." So yeah, I only ran a little, but that really is so much better than none. 


Confession: It's my fault I'm still hurting. I've been terrible about stretching and doing my strengthening exercises. I'm a little contrary and rebellious. I just want to go and do. I hate preparing and following rules. I can not emphasize that enough. I truly dislike preparation of any kind. Preparation, or so I've always felt, wastes time. If I'm preparing, then I'm missing the thing itself. Weirdly, running is teaching me to slow down. Slowly, slowly, slowly I'm starting to grasp that I must prepare to run and I must allow some structure to seep into my running. So! While stretching is dull and strengthening exercises bore me, I will submit to the necessity of these "activities" and make myself do them.


Hopefully.

2 comments:

  1. The rest is just as important as the work. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself today! Went for a walk thinking maybe I'd run a little, but the Achilles just won't have it. It's been almost six weeks, but to run on an injury is to risk further - and possibly worse - injury. So, I take it slow. This whole "listen to your body" thing? Yeah, that's hard ... but it's so strangely awesome as well, when you realize it's tellin' ya what you need to know.

    We'll run again. We're just lookin' at the flip side right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're able to shake off all the wonkyness so you can go back out and enjoy running. I pulled a hamstring muscle last night running with the track club - we were doing some fun relays and it happened during the shortest distance we ran, 200 meters. Guess I am not a sprinter. This should sideline me for a few days. I gotta remember to take it easy and look at the big picture - I want to do this half marathon on June 5!
    Any ways, hope your knee cooperates and quick. Give in to the evil necessities so you can do the fun stuff.
    - Rafael

    ReplyDelete