Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Start

I've stuck by a few people and a few animals, but that's it. I'm not sure I really know how to finish anything or if I'm capable of pushing myself. If something hurts, I have always stopped. If something bored me, I would quit. If I got uncomfortable, I'd walk away.
So here I am at 40, pushing 41 and I have yet to follow through on much at all. I have not pushed myself. I have not been concerned with follow through or the opinions of others.


Because of this, in part, I found myself feeling a little lost and clueless about what to do with my life. I started wondering just what are my capabilities. I started looking for something to pursue, for something to tackle and finish.


My 41st was looming ever closer. I got more concerned with my health. All these years I've ridden on good genes rather than physical fitness. Don't hate me, but I've never had a  weight issue (good genetics, not will power) and so I've never had to work out.  That care free time was drawing to an end. If I wanted to be healthy and look fit, I was actually going to have to work at it.


Therein was the problem-- that meant I'd have to commit to a task. And while I wanted, in theory, to commit I really doubted my ability to follow through.


But I'm more mature now, surely. Surely by now I can commit to a goal and see it through. Right? I think so. This time I really think so.


Getting fit + Making a commitment and following through = Running.


I will complete the  Couch to 5K  program and when I do I will enter and run a 5K. For once, I'll be able to say I finished something.
And so I'm running.

2 comments:

  1. I love this! I helped my mom get started with C25K when she was 59, and she's since inspired some of her friends and family to start running. I'm looking forward to following along and to hearing about your first 5K.

    Now, if you could get me to learn how to hit a tennis ball, that would be a real feat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love knowing your mom started at 59. When I get whiny, I'm going to remember that. Hearing about others, seeing others out trying, really helps keep me motivated.
    And if you DID learn how to hit the ball, you'd be unstoppable! You already have great stamina.

    ReplyDelete