Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Grumble and Shoes

After a lot of indecision I did run on Sunday and it went really well (see previous post. I even whooped at the finish) except for the pain level towards the end. That weird leg/groin pain just will not leave me alone. Sunday night the discomfort actually woke me up a couple of times. Anyway, I should be running tonight, but I'm forcing myself to rest instead. I'm not happy about it, but I suspect I'm doing myself a favor. Perhaps by resting now I'm preventing a more serious injury and avoiding a longer rest. My big worry is that I won't heal in time or be ready to run my first 5K on April 2nd. Right now, were it not for the leg pain, I could absolutely run the 5K and likely be satisfied with my time. If the pain keeps up and I have to take more time off... I don't know. GRUMBLE.

Last week I caved and bought my first pair of "real" running (or maybe they are cross trainers?) shoes. I went to http://www.runnersdepot.com/, which was kind of cool. They have people there who advise you, analyze your gait, etc. It's also a great place to find out about upcoming races or get connected with other runners. I ended up with this pair:
Gaudy? Yes, yes they are. However, they are super comfy and so very lightweight. I've run in them twice and while they took a little getting used to (I think they somehow manage to force me forward) I'm liking them quite a bit. According the employee at the running store I'm fortunate-- neutral gait and can wear pretty much any kind of running shoe. These will do just fine for shorter distances like 5Ks. If I decide to go for real distances, I'll look into something geared in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment