Monday, March 28, 2011

Hope and cutting a little slack

When I last posted I had come off a very uncomfortable and very slow run. The run following that one was marginally better, but not by much. Time off and leg pain set me back a bit. After that second run I was really discouraged. BUT, the next run was better and the next even better and the one after that was better still. I did my last 3 miles in in 31:30. For me, that's pretty damn good. So if you're in a down spot, don't lose hope! You will get better. If you keep pushing, keep trying, you really will do better. I know it.

When I first started I had hopes of doing a 10 minute mile right away. Its supposed to be the norm, after all. In the beginning there were runs that came close to that time, but then I'd fade out. I think I'm still trying to find my average pace. I've only been doing this 3 times a week for 11 weeks and I've only run the full 3 miles for a few of those weeks. Slowly but surely I'm accepting that sometimes you have to cut yourself a little slack. And really, I've never been much for normal anyway :-) So, I'll be happy with 31:30 and give myself the challenge of maintaining that and finding my pace. Once I find the pace I consistently hit and do that for a bit then and only then will I push it a little more.

If only this stupid groin/leg pain would go away once and for all I'd be set...or so I think. I want maybe 3 months of uninterrupted run time. At that point I think my body will have finally accepted running 3 times a week as  normal and a few days off won't throw me off track....or so I think. There's still so much to discover and learn about running, about me and my body and it's capabilities.

And lest I forget to mention it:
THE COUNTDOWN IS ON! 6 Days until until my first 5K! Send good vibes, say good prayers for a healthy, pain free, wind free, feel good day on April 2nd!!

3 comments:

  1. I think 31.30 is AWESOME! I've had the same hang up with 10 minute mile stuck in my head. I'm going to let it go and try your suggestion from the last post of picking up c25k mid program.

    Definitely doing the wind free dance....stupid wind :) and prayers for all of the above for Saturday!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD LUCK! Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Sarah and Bo!
    Sarah, let me know how the c25k works out for you. Good luck and keep that wind free dance going! :)

    ReplyDelete