Thursday, March 3, 2011

Newbie

The third and last round of 28 minute runs will be completed today, hopefully. Its amazing how very much the running experience can vary day to day. Sunday I felt really good and pumped after our run. Tuesday I hurt all over and my legs felt heavy. That run was so uneven and annoying. I never really found a rhythm. In an effort to give my body a little boost, I'm skipping tennis today. I think all the discomfort was my system's way of saying, loudly, "Hey! Back off a little. You are not, in fact, a runner. You are a newbie." So I'm listening or trying to and will, for a little while anyway, try to stick to one physically demanding task a day. 

And thinking of newbies-- I do not yet consider myself a runner. I am still very much a beginner. I feel my conditioning needs to get to a certain level and I need to have run a certain number of miles both consecutively and overall  before I can comfortably wear the label of runner. I feel like it sort of has to be earned. I was the same with tennis. Other people ran out and bought all sorts of gear and tennis outfits when they first started. I couldn't do that. I felt like I had to earn the right to look like a tennis player. To me, if you're all decked out in tennis gear and you swing like you're holding a baseball bat, that's pretty laughable. Its the same with running. If you call yourself a runner, but you've never actually run even a 5k, its not only comical its delusional. 
I'm not sure I'll ever actually be a runner, but I hope to get to a fitness level where I can run regularly and feel good while running. 

4 comments:

  1. I totally get what you mean. I think the technical term is 'all the gear but no idea'. I started horseriding six months ago and I won't buy riding boots or jodphurs or a hat until I feel like I've earned to right to own my own stuff, when I feel confident that I am a rider, not someone trying it out who's just going to give up. For now I'll keep wearing my wellies and old leggings and hire hat because I don't feel I can call myself a rider.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it! Good luck with riding!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've set a goal and are on your way. You are running so you are a runner. Believe in yourself. Don't let others define you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me it's not about other people's definition, but my own. I don't *feel* like a runner...yet. Right now I run. One day, it'll click and I'll be a runner :-)

    ReplyDelete