Saturday, April 9, 2011

And so I'll keep running

I can't believe it's been a week since my first 5K. Not sure if this is an indication of a developing addiction, but I'm already looking forward to running my next race. Wait, that's not strictly true. Let me say it this way--I'm looking forward to finishing my next 5k.
 
This week I've started to suspect it's the feeling of accomplishment that spurs me on rather than the actual running. My relationship with running has changed a lot over the past 3 months. Initially I really disliked it. Little by little I've grown to anticipate running rather than dread it. I've gone from, "What? I have to run again today? Already?!" to "Alright. I get to run today." I've finally accepted running into my life. However, I'm still not in love with it. I expect this too will change in time, but maybe not. 

For right now what I do know is this-- running has changed my life in so many good ways. I am stronger both physically and mentally. I believe in myself more than I did. I feel unconquerable. If the zombie's attack, I can out run them. ( sorry, had to.)

Most importantly running has gotten me unstuck. I feel like I'm moving forward in my life again. I feel like I can breathe easier and strangely, I'm less concerned about the future. Maybe it's because I'm excited to see what else I can do and what else I am capable of doing. I don't really know and I don't really care. I'm just happy to feel what I feel.

So, while I'm not yet in love with running, I do love what running has done and is doing for me. And so, I'll continue to run.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks for commenting on my running blog: http://www.gottatryit.webs.com

    Congrats on the 5K! Definitely can't wait to read about the next one. No matter what happens during a race, you always get great stories and memories (during my first marathon I had to rest by the side of the road for 30 minutes or so before walking most of the race to the finish line).

    Thrilled that you are going to keep running! It's amazing how addicting it can be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for there to BE a next one! Originally I had planned to run another the 1st weekend of May. Now I'm injured and not sure I'll be able to, which is making me crazy!

    ReplyDelete