Monday, April 25, 2011

Give thanks

All day I was looking forward to running. I've cut back so much because of my leg and I've missed it. Today I decided to forget about distance, about pace, about duration and just run till I got too uncomfortable to keep going or until I decided to stop. It was magic. I ran for the joy of moving, not out of any desire to accomplish something. That was the most delightful run I've had since I started. I felt free and so grateful and full of thanks. I'm alive and I can run and dance and kiss and touch and FEEL GOOD and and and... Pretty awesome. 
And so, I'm thankful for
The ability to run
The idea of running the Disney Princess half marathon next year with a new found blogger friend while wearing a tiara delights me.
And so, I'm thankful for
New found inspirations and other bedraggled silly runners.
Life and all of its crazy ups and downs, twists and turns and unexpected surprises can drain you or uplift you. The people you surround yourself with, I believe, are key in determining which way the pendulum swings. I am incredibly fortunate to have in my life some truly lovely people who enhance and raise up rather than weigh me down. 
And so I am very, very thankful and grateful for 
All the amazing people that life has seen fit to bring into my world-- old friends, new found friends, friends who teach me and uplift me, who trust me and who I trust, who make me feel wise and loved. You know who you are :-)
I've heard of the runner's high and never been quite sure what it was. I suspect when others refer to the runner's high what I'm feeling now isn't it, but I think it is my runner's high, my little spot of Zen and clarity. 
And I like it. I like it a lot. 

5 comments:

  1. Beautifully written. Thank you for putting words to your gratitude; I'm thankful for having found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a perfect golf shot in the midst of an otherwise horrid round, it's runs like that that keep us coming back the sport. Glad you enjoyed the run and may you have many more runs like that in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such timing! This weekend I was talking to my sister in law who, let's just be honest...annoys the crap out of me, and I was saying how good I felt after a recent run, like ELATED and giddy and she kept telling me "well wait until you have a REAL runner's high." It really just kind of pissed me off....so maybe it's not the high that runners refer to, but like you, it was DEFINITELY a high for me and worthy of celebration!!
    Like Maggie said, I'm thankful for finding your blog, for finding someone who inspires me and makes me laugh and makes me want to keep on running :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sarah, that would seriously annoy me too. Who is to say what a "real" runner's high is? And by saying "wait until you..." she's implying you haven't yet really run, which further annoys me. I think its safe to say your sister in law is just an annoying sort ;)
    Thank you for your kind words! If I can inspire anyone even a teeny tiny bit, I'm over the moon!

    ReplyDelete