Sunday, April 3, 2011

Race Day Part 1

Yesterday was THE BIG DAY! I'm still kind of reeling and trying to process the whole experience. There's so much I want to say, but I'm thought tied and not sure where to begin. If you've been following along you know for me running this race was bigger than completing my first 5k. I'm proud of myself for so many reasons and I'm finding it difficult to adequately express just how good this feels.

And thinking of feeling good--Before I write anything about the race itself I have talk about some wonderful, amazing people I have the pleasure of calling friends.

The race yesterday was held at the port. Because of this I was under the impression that only runners were allowed into the event. However, as Kurt and I gathered with the other runners at the start line  (an amazing feeling!)  Kurt got my attention and pointed to the sidelines. There stood our friends Lori and Dave. When I saw them I was delighted, surprised and yes, giddy. Someone would be there to see me cross the finish line! The race started (massive wave of euphoria!) and as I ran over the start line I looked to my left-- there stood two more friends, Manny and Sarah! This time the combination of start of the race euphoria combined with giddy caused me to squeal, a few times. FOUR people would be there to see me cross the finish line!

While I truly dislike feeling vulnerable I'm going to tell you why this meant so much to me. I register love by actions, by being thought of, by time and effort expended because time is so very important. If you did something for me, you had to take time out of your life to think of me and to me, that is huge. It never occurred to me that anyone would go out of their way to find out if they could be there to cheer me on. I never even hoped anyone would be there. But there they were and it made me feel ridiculously loved.

Now I can tell you from experience-- if you have supporters, encourage them to come out race day. Not only is it an awesome way to kick off the race it is a fantastic motivator during the race. I had to run up a hill at the last bit (evil) and I had moments when I thought I was toast and couldn't possibly continue to run. Then I would think of my friends at the finish line and it gave me what I needed to keep running.

When I crested the hill I took off my earphones so I could take everything in with every sense. As I approached the finish line I could hear the cheering, the names being called as people completed the race.  I saw my friends and two more people-- my son and his girlfriend. Seeing all of them, hearing the crowd, seeing the finish line-- wow, totally overwhelmed me with emotion. I heard them cheering and made me step it up and nearly hop across the finish line. I barely heard my name being called. My brain was too busy trying to settle on one emotion. Elated, euphoric, blessed, grateful--- I was everything in one moment and it was amazing.

Thank you my beautiful, loving friends for surprising me and being a part of that piece of my life. I love you.
                                                            
                                                         Before the race:

After the race:

Quite the difference, eh?  To my right- Morgan, my son's most wonderful girlfriend and to my left my lovely friend Manny. Although... he IS looking at me like I smell badly. Probably did!


I'll write about the actual race experience in another post. Today I wanted to bask in the emotion rather than the race itself.

3 comments:

  1. As amazing as our friends are for showing up like this, neither could just hop in the car and drive over:
    Manny and Sara have their beautiful baby girl they brought with them. So other parents will understand the added time and effort it takes when traveling with a young child.
    Lori is on crutches because of knee problems but came out with Dave to stand at the start/finish line to support us.
    We truly have awesome friends!
    -Kurt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I can FEEL the emotion. So pleased for you.

    Bojangles

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!! Love Love Love!
    Way to go you!!!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete