Saturday, April 16, 2011

Aint no rest for the wicked (or the easily bored)

Yeah, I'm not good at the rest thing. Apparently I have to be in a lot of pain to actually rest and well, my knee hasn't been bothering me the last two days. My hip, meh, that's given me tweaks for sure, but nothing consistent. So, given that I was in dire need of a sweat (I know that sounds SO weird, right? But if you've gotten used to working up a sweat on a regular basis, you miss it when it's gone. Not the sweat itself perhaps, unless of course you're just kinky that way, but the actions that generate it) I decided to try to play a little tennis. Before you say I'm crazy or ask why I would do that to myself, let me say this-- I didn't really play. That is, I didn't run like a manic for every ball. I took it easy and didn't even keep score.

A little aside here-- playing without keeping score is normally off limits for me because its BORING. I'm not of the new school that says we all win. No, no we do not all win. Winners win. Just ask Charlie Sheen.

Anyway, I took it easy, did a lot of warm up and slowly felt out my leg. I felt fine. I moved to the baseline for a little more movement and other than a hip tweak when I really threw my right leg out in a diagonal lunge,  I was alright. Hmmm, so am I ok to run? That I don't know and I'm a little scared to give it a whirl just yet.

Tomorrow I'm going to try participating in a very low key doubles round robin. If my leg cooperates with me, then I may try to do a short run on Monday. Here's hoping. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really do miss running. If you'd told me even a few months ago there'd come a day when I would long to run, I would have laughed at you, but here I am feeling just that. Another lesson learned-- never presume to know what changes life might bring to you. Stay open and see what awesomeness comes your way.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I am new to running. I just started running a couple of months ago and I did my very first 5k last 27th of Mar. I am now looking forward to my second on the 21st of May. I haven't started training again for that because I got sore knees right after my 1st 5k. My knees are ok now since I started taking "joint vitamins". I am bored now too. I wanted to train again because my knees are now ok... the only problem is the "weather".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess even light hitting is better than not hitting at all. How'd the round robin go?

    ReplyDelete