Friday, April 1, 2011

Giddy and Insights

Tomorrow evening I'll run my very first 5k. Holy cow!! I can't tell you how excited and proud I am to have arrived at this place. Rarely have I pushed myself to do something that makes me physically uncomfortable and this, I assure you, has made me uncomfortable. I never thought my lungs could handle running for more than a couple of minutes and here I am running 3.1 miles at a time. And I'm hoping to eventually run a half marathon. Maybe.

Lesson: Do NOT put limitations on yourself. Do NOT state what you can not do before you've made every effort and really tried. It is amazing what we are capable of accomplishing once we get out of our own way.
Things are going well in my life. I recently started a new job with nice people. I feel good. My life feels good. When I started this it was in an effort to get healthy, yes....but more so it was about finishing something and creating forward momentum in my life, becoming unstuck. Someone asked me today if I thought the good things happening in my life were connected to running and I answered with a resounding YES.

God, the world, the universe, life, what have you, has a way of responding to effort. Or so it's seemed to me in my life. Its as if life throws down the gauntlet and says, "Yeah? What are you willing to do to prove you're really in?" And when we show effort, a little commitment, life gives back in kind.

I firmly believe we are right where we are because that's where we've chosen to be. Do you have a good relationship with your kids, significant other, co-workers? Whose fault is that? Are you happy with your life situation? Who is to blame? Once we take responsibility for ourselves we can move forward and stop wasting time. If you aren't happy, CHANGE it. If you don't like your life, DO something to make a difference. Grab the reigns and tell yourself about all the things you can do and stop making excuses. Stop telling yourself what you can't do and find out what you are capable of. You only get one go around. Don't waste it.

The only thing we really can't control is our health. We can try to eat right and exercise and certainly that helps, but ultimately we are in the hands of our own genetics and we are not promised old age or good health. Knowing that should make us want to take full advantage of every single feel good moment we have. If you are healthy, do not waste it. Live and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Love this post! I agree....I definitely have seen a change for the better in all aspects of my life since I started running.

    On pins and needles waiting to hear how it went today! I imagine you're busy celebrating which has me smiling :)
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Celebrating and reliving it over and over with a big goofy grin!! :-)
    *I* can't wait to hear about YOUR first 5k!!

    ReplyDelete