Monday, April 4, 2011

Race Day Part 2

In Part 1 I talked more about feelin' the love. This time I'm going to put down what running the race felt like.

Let me start by saying that prior to this race, I thought a late start would be a good thing. I now know better. This race started at 5:30 pm, which means I had all day to anticipate, mull, contemplate, fret and generally get myself all worked up. By the time we gathered at the start line I had the worst cotton mouth you can imagine. It was ridiculous.
Lesson 1-- if you're prone to over excitement (that would be me) choose a race that starts early.

So there I was with my gummy dried out mouth at the starting line. I was thrumming with excitement. The announcer kept talking-- a welcome, a prayer, the Star Spangled Banner. I had to bite my tongue to keep from shouting, "SHUT UP AND LET ME RUN BEFORE I EXPLODE!" Finally the announcer started the countdown: 10, 9, 8...3, 2, 1 and we're were off and it was exhilarating! It felt so good to be moving with the pack I did what everyone had warned me against-- running too fast at the start. Fortunately I quickly realized my error. Unfortunately that made me anxious. I kept thinking, "What if I'm going too fast and I burn out? Am I going to hyperventilate?" Silliness!
Lesson 2-- Just chill out and breathe. Remind yourself you've run this distance before, it's nothing to fret over. Make your mantra, "I'll be fine."

Lesson 3 (this is a biggie) Make sure your shoes are securely tied! Sounds like a no brainer and  maybe it is, but I never even thought to look at my shoes. Never, ever before had one of my shoes come untied while running. I have to repeat that-- NEVER have I had a shoe come untied while running. Guess what? Less than half a mile into the race I felt something flicking my right shin. I looked down and saw the laces of my right shoe flapping away. I thought, "What the hell? Seriously?" and decided to leave it untied. A short distance later my shoe felt like it was going to come flying off. I gave in, moved to the side, stopped and tied my shoe. Problem solved. Umm, no. Perhaps 3/4 of a mile later I feel that familiar flicking on my right shin again. I look down and again I think (but with more fervor), "What THE HELL? Seriously?!?" And again my shoe feels like it's going to come flying off. Again I move aside, stop and tie my shoe. This time, with much pissy attitude and force,  I tied a double knot and moved back into the pack.  That knot stayed, thank God.

To be continued...
                                           Starting line crowd

4 comments:

  1. Hello from a fellow runner! I'm presently sidelined by a nasty Achilles injury (and quite emotional about it, thank you very much) so I'm feeding my need to run by reading about it.

    Be very proud of all you've accomplished. I had a blast reading back on your progress and seeing my own reactions in so many of yours. My most sincere congratulations for your accomplishments! Keep 'em comin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is capturing me. Great job! I'm really enjoying reading this and can hear your "voice".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maggie! So sorry to read you're injured and having to take a break. And I feel you---I would be an emotional basket case over being sidelined too. Here's to a quicker than anticipated recovery!
    Thank you! I am proud and it feels great! SO happy you enjoyed reading and really happy you could relate. When others relate, it makes me feel less weird :)

    ReplyDelete