Thursday, April 7, 2011

Race Day Part 3

Once the shoe situation was finally under control and the initial rush began to ebb, the weight of the race started  to settle in. And yes, it was a weight. I'd put all this pressure on myself and this race. In my mind failing this race (and really, how could I have failed?) equaled failing some unnamed, larger thing.
Lesson 4: The only goal for race day should be to enjoy it. Do not pressure yourself!


That day was unseasonably warm.  This is south Florida and the sun can be brutal even in April. By the one mile mark I was feeling the heat. I was delighted to see the first water station, especially given how bad my cotton mouth was. I saw people stopping to drink and I thought, "What kind of madness is that? They are losing all sorts of time!" Well, they apparently know their abilities better than I know mine. I tired to grab a water and keep running while attempting to sip said water. Yeah, ha ha. Doesn't work. I nearly choked myself to death. But here's how committed to the moment I was-- I kept running while choking! Oh and I managed to run off in the wrong direction. I'm brunette, really.
Lesson 5: Take two seconds to stop and sip if you need a drink.

By the second mile (I'm not going to lie and say it was a breeze. It seemed to take an eternity to reach the second mile) I was starting to question my ability to finish. Every 1/4 of a mile I was doubting myself and my ability to finish. The sun was intense, the wind was coming at me (have I mentioned how very much I hate wind?) and when I knew I was finally getting close to the final stretch I saw.....
A bridge. A Hill. A bridge that is a hill. Again I find myself saying, loudly, "WHAT THE HELL?!?" Because for all the fitness I've developed over the past 4 months, at that moment I was beat. I felt like I was going to fall over and puke. So gross, but so true. I contemplated quitting, right there. I just wanted to say screw it and be done.

Then I remembered my people at the finish line and all the effort and excitement that led me to this moment. And then, and then....I went up that freaking bridge. At the top I looked down and saw the the finish line. In that moment every hurt, every ragged breath, every struggle became worth while. Crossing the finish line was one of the most satisfying experiences I have had. I can not do it justice. You just have to go out there and do it for yourself. And when you do, come tell me about it.
Lesson 6: When you think you can go no further, remember you really can and take the next step. The finish line is one hell of a high.

3 comments:

  1. When I got to your final paragraph, I was mentally standing at the finish line, jumping up and down yelling and cheering for you! So awesome!!!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!! How is your running going? Did you try the c25k?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Went to the Dr and he believes I have exercise induced asthma which would explain hitting a wall as far as my breathing. Trying an inhaler and Singulair for the next week to see if that helps. I had a really good run on Monday (of course it may have helped that there was a HOT Marine running at the same time which kept me really motivated) :)
    We'll see how today goes. My 5k is on the 23rd. I'm nervous as all get out because it's a trail run and the registration paperwork says "course winds through the woods along trails. Steep hills and rough terrain involved."
    What in the holy hell was I thinking?????
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete