Thursday, February 10, 2011

Hill conquered, mountain on the horizon

Yesterday I was sort of prepared to fail, a little anyway. I suspected doing 8 minute runs would be too much. I thought I'd have to stop somewhere around 6 minutes, walk for a few seconds and go back to the jog and repeat until I'd hit the 8 minute mark. I didn't have to stop for either 8 minute run and was actually able to increase my pace during the second one. GO ME!
Yesterday was the first time I'd used my mp3 player while I ran. Normally I sing weird ditties to myself, but this time I thought I might need a bigger distraction. I put my player on random and I have to say it was like the hand of the running God came down and chose the songs for me. One song was Changes by David Bowie which says things like, "time to face the strain...changes changes, come on you silly rock and roller.." Yeah, for me, that was awesome motivation. Had I made a play list to run to I wouldn't have chosen it , but it was perfect.
So the mountain to come is on Friday. On Friday its balls to the wall and we have to run for 20 minutes straight. Part of me is saying, "WHAT THE HELL, MAN?!" Another part is whispering, sort of timidly," So far, everything you thought you couldn't do, you've done." Mentally I'm perched somewhere between these two thoughts. I'm excited to try 20, but I'm freaked out too.
Changes

1 comment: