Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Surprising myself

Yesterday we completed day 1 of week 6. After the high of running my first 2 miles, mentally it was kind of a let down, but I did discover something very cool: I have reserves. Not sure when I developed this extra bit of oomph, but it's there and I like it. During one rotation I had jogged maybe 3 minutes and was just bitchy about it. I felt uncomfortable and wanted to stop, but I hated the idea of being a quitter so I kept going (gasp!). My jog at that point was a pace that I ought to have been ashamed of. Definitely a "I don't care, I don't want to do this" pace complete with crappy attitude. Somewhere around the 4-5 minute mark, I started to feel better and found a rhythm. About the 6th minute I decided to speed up my pace and move into a run. Here's the kicker-- rather than the added pace hurting me, it gave me a second wind and I smoothed out even more. I didn't know I had that much left in me until I tried. And thinking about that-- how many times have I missed out on something because I didn't try? How much more can I do? What is my body capable of? I really have no idea. What I do know is this-- In future when I am faced with a challenge I will no longer be comfortable saying, "I can't"  because no matter how difficult the task, I might surprise myself. I'm kind of falling in love with surprising myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment