Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Oouch.

Our second 25 minute run was much better for me than the first. Hormones and discomfort weren't an issue, thank God. The run itself went really well. I finished with energy to spare and needed very little recovery time which made me feel really good. 
However, that night I was uncomfortable. My lower legs were achy-- outer sides below the knee and my calves. Also, I now have a crazy pain in my right big toe. Who gets a big toe pain? Ridiculous, but it actually hurts. I'd say everything else was a an ache, but that toe, when I step a certain way, makes me cringe. 
These are the first pains I've had since we started this program. I'm curious if its simply my body adjusting to more time running or if I'm doing something wrong. I did play tennis on hard courts the previous day, which could have something to do with it. 
Anyway, if you have any insight please share!

4 comments:

  1. I would guess the achy legs are simply from tired, strained muscles. The toe? Could be a pinched nerve from a disc problem!

    I had a back injury 5 years ago that resulted in a bulging disc. One of my symptoms, along with ridiculous lower back pain, was a shooting pain that would go down the outside of one leg like a bolt of electricity and end at my big toe. Then sometimes just the toe would hurt without the shooting pain down the leg.

    Had any back issues after you started running?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had back issues off and on for awhile, all lower back. Usually if I stretch and spend a little time on the floor, I'm ok for a day or two. Oh man, I sound like an old person! It never occurred to me that this toe thing could be connected to my back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A couple more possibilities on the toe pain.

    http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=12154

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lori! My legs are fine, just tired and I really, really need to stretch more before and after I run.
    My toe, so far today, is pain free. However, I'm playing tennis on hard court and we are supposed to run this evening. Curious to see how it goes. Sesamoids, mentioned in the article you linked to, might be what's happening. I've had pain in that area for a long time, off and on. I've always believed it was triggered by a pair of tennis shoes.
    Anyway, good info and thank you!

    ReplyDelete