Thursday, February 24, 2011

Just Rambling and possibly offending

I've noticed people who are overweight and trying to lose that weight/get fit, get a lot of support. They should. It's tough to lose weight and when you're going through those changes you need all the support you can get. 


If you are not overweight and you're trying to up your level of fitness, its different. There's more of a "Well, isn't that special" vibe about many of the comments you get. Sometimes there's even a touch of "Really? On top of not being overweight you're going to be healthy too?!" As if its audacious to want both.  I suspect many people think it's easy to get fit if you aren't overweight. I've got news for anyone who thinks that-- while it's easier in that a thinner person doesn't have extra weight to carry around, a person who is not overweight can still be out of shape and still have an uphill battle both mentally and physically.


Back to those overweight people and their vocal supporters. I wonder how many people who lose weight keep their overweight supporters/friends once the pounds they were trying to shed are gone? I suspect they lose a few overweight "friends" along the way. Breaking out of an unhealthy lifestyle and into a new one can be so difficult. People think it's just food, but its not. Sometimes getting healthy means losing relationships along the way.


I've noticed too that many women who are overweight refer to themselves as "real" women. I'm not sure what that means. Is their vagina more real than mine? Perhaps they have a more feminine uterus? I really don't know. What I do know is it seems like a hostile statement and I'm not sure why women would want to create hostility towards one another. What about sisterhood and women supporting one another? Is that only applicable to the "real" woman sisterhood? Shouldn't we, as women, encourage one another to be the very best women we can be, to become what is good and healthy for us as individuals without putting size labels onto ourselves? I think so. I think if you are a size 12 and you feel good, then you should love your size 12 body. If you're a size 2, 18 or 24 and are healthy and feel good, the same applies and you should be so in love with you that it never occurs to you to demean another woman's size or shape.


I've also noticed a trend to make men look like idiots in shows, commercials etc. They are portrayed as foolish, ignorant creatures who would be lost without a woman to guide them. On behalf of the amazing men I know, that really pisses me off. I'll save that blab for another time.

4 comments:

  1. Wow!! You're the first woman I know who has taken offense at the commercials!! Thank you on behalf of all my fellow "amazing" men! Yep, it's true .. there are indeed a lot of us who read directions before assembling something, ask for directions when we're lost, know how to dress ourselves properly and stylishly and can navigate a grocery store with the best of them!!

    But you're right ... from most commercials these days you sure wouldn't know it!

    Keep on runnin' girl ... I'm right there with ya. Took a spin around the neighborhood this week already and going out again tomorrow. Working my way back to a 5K!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a woman doesn't take offense, she must not have a son or men in her life she respects. Women are equal to men. We shouldn't need to insult men to make ourselves feel better.

    And YAY--I'm so glad to see you got out running this week! Awesome,awesome! YOU keep running too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't relate to the first paragraph, but I do agree we shouldn't demean others. As for the second paragraph, I am married but do my own laundry and cook a lot of our meals. I can even feed and bathe myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's this? You can feed and bathe yourself? That's not what the media has taught me about you helpless men. Surely you jest!?
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete